Friday 16 August 2013

The Voyage (Day One)



A wise old bird once wrote that life is nothing more than a series of collisions with the future. My life seems to collide uncompromisingly with the present fashioning odd and misshapen forms. 
     I've often attempt to make sense of the moment via an unflinching scrutiny of the memory with all its attendant hobgoblins and ogres. I’ve subsequently waded through reams of letters and old photographs only to reveal a rather uneventful life given to self-gratification and inertia. And instead of structure or meaning I unraveled a formless and inchoate narrative: a hotchpotch of random and unrelated experiences flickering like vague shadows in sun-clear water. It seems the more I examine the world around me the more my life appears jaundiced, or at least tinctured by some distinctive lack.
      The remedy had to lie in a kind of personal expedition. An exploration that would probe beyond the restricted life I was living to a life I’d longed for since time out of mind.  And as such I made the decision to embark on an expedition that would reclaim and proclaim my existence as something of purpose rather than inconsequence. I would “tramp a perpetual journey” .....

2 comments:

  1. The meaning to life is 42. Lol. You are right though. One can be consumed by mediocrity. We need at least one huge adventure in our lives so that we can say we have really lived.

    ReplyDelete